What is GRE?
The GRE (Graduate Record Examinations) is a standardized test taken by students who are applying to postgraduate courses in the US and in some other parts of the world. The GRE is conducted by the Education Testing Services group (ETS).
GRE is the only exam based on the process of selection unlike other exams which are based on the process of elimination. Instead of just being an admission criterion, GRE scores determine eligibility for merit-based grants and fellowships, as well as teaching and research assistantships programs. Putting your time and effort in preparing for GRE can help you to get into your desired University.
There are two versions of GRE test :
- GRE General Test
- GRE Subject Test
GRE General Test Detail
The overall testing time for the computer-delivered GRE® revised General Test is about three hours and 45 minutes. There are six sections with a 10-minute break following the third section.
|Measure||Number of Questions||Allotted Time|
|Analytical Writing (One section with two separately timed tasks)||One "Analyze an Issue" task and one "Analyze an Argument" task||30 minutes per task|
|Verbal Reasoning (Two sections)||20 questions per section||30 minutes per section|
|Quantitative Reasoning (Two sections)||20 questions per section||35 minutes per section|
1) An unidentified unscored section that does not count toward your score may be included and may appear in any order after the Analytical Writing section. Questions in the unscored section are being tried out either for possible use in future tests or to ensure that scores on new editions of the test are comparable to scores from earlier editions.
2) An identified research section that does not count toward your score may be included in place of the unscored section. The research section will always appear at the end of the test. Questions in this section are included for ETS research purposes.
- For the Issue task, two essay topics will be presented and you will choose one. The Argument task does not present a choice of topics; instead one topic will be presented.
- An unidentified verbal or quantitative pre-test section may be included and may appear in any order after the analytical writing section. It is not counted as part of your score.
- An identified research section that is not scored may be included and will always be at the end of the test.
Subject Test Details
This version of test is to assess candidates’ knowledge level about specific field of study. The score of this test is often required for Doctoral Programmes in US, though some Universities requires its score for Master-level programmes too.
The Eight subjects in which Subject test is presently conducted are:
- Computer Science
- English Literature
- Biochemistry, Cell and Molecular Biology
- For the quantitative and verbal reasoning assessments of the GRE revised General test, the scores range from 130 to 170 points.
- For the analytic writing section, scores range from 0.0 to 6.0, in half-point increments.
- There are two verbal and two math sections on the GRE revised General test. The first of both sections is not computer adaptive, but the difficulty of questions that you'll be given for the second section is dependent on how well you did on the first section.
- The essay section of the GRE is composed on the computer, but both writing tasks are graded by trained readers.
- A Bachelor’s degree is the minimum requirement for seeking admission in any Masters Program in US.
- Most US Universities have made it mandatory for a student to complete 16 years of education for admission to Science and Engineering programs.
Countries Accepting the GRE Score
All the top universities around the world in US, UK, Europe, Singapore and Australia accept GRE score. More than 600 business schools accept the GRE score world-wide.
Basic GRE Facts:
- The GRE General is administered by computer year-round.
- Register to take the GRE at a test centre near you.
- On Test Day arrive 30 minutes early to complete any paperwork. If you arrive late, you may not be admitted and will not be refunded.
- Bring identification to the test centre.
- Unofficial scores appear on the computer screen following your test. Official scores are mailed to you and the institutions you choose 10 days to two weeks afterward.
|The GRE Test Fee|
|GRE compute Adaptive Test||$205|
|Additional Score Report Request||$274 per score recipient|
*Subjected to cancellation / reschedule 7 working prior to exam dates.